Friday, March 25, 2011

Week 12 - Website Design

What fun! I began this activity thinking that I'd create a website for my students and parents with just a few pages and it turned into a much bigger project. My goal was to create a site that was accessible by students and parents and could be used on a regular basis. Creating each page, I searched through the Google Gadgets to find appropriate content. Many of the gadgets had inappropriate ads and I didn't think it looked professional, so I really tried to streamline my choices. First, I chose a clock on the homepage, as a helpful tool. Then, I inserted photos and clip art throughout the site so that it would be aesthetically pleasing. After that, I included Picasa slide shows (definitely my favorite feature of Google Sites so far) to showcase some of the activities that have happened in our classroom so far this year.

I chose to purchase a web address through GoDaddy.com so that I could have the changclassroom name, back in August. I wanted it to be something that my second grade students could easily type in and access in the computer lab at school or at home, independently. I've been uploading newsletters since then for parents who preferred a digital copy. I didn't feel like the content was being accessed, though, so I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to add to it! I've dabbled in adding content to my site since then also, but I didn't feel like I was ready to present it to students and parents until this point. This is just the beginning of a much bigger project. I am so excited to continue working on this and improving this classroom website.

No comments:

Post a Comment